Stop the Insanity

Sunday, September 16, 2007

I enjoyed Forster's A Passage to India. I am always fascinated by stories that center around class or gender oppression; Forster's tale goes so far as to address issues of empire with regards to the British "invasion" of India and the subsequent subjugation of an entire race of people. It is the story of the ruler and the ruled. Power is, of course, an all-consuming force that takes on a life of its own; historically speaking, anything or anyone that gets in the way of a powerful and wealthy group (such as the Brtish) ends up being oppressed or annihilated. One can't help being fascinated by the historical complexity of the phenomenon. I think I would have been a very good sociologist or historian...but I do love the world of literature. Until next time, have a lucky (and nonstressful) week.

shamilton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home